Monday 12 January 2015

A Nice portrayal of African romance | Interview with Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam


Last week, I reviewed a book titled Finding Love Again by Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam . See review here.

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam is a Nigerian fiction writer and the author of Finding Love Again. She has
written quite a number of unpublished novels as well as several short stories published. Her latest work so far is Finding Love Again which was published in 2014.

Q: Tell us a bit about what inspired you to be a writer?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: I started writing diary entries as a catharsis, an outlet for my sorrows and joys and seemingly ineffable emotions.

When I was twelve, going on thirteen, all the teachers under the state education board went on strike, and so our junior WAEC exams had to be postponed. I wrote and completed a YA novel in my spare-time and found a book cover design for it. That book never got published, but then I had been inspired to become a writer.



Q: Is Finding Love Again your first novel?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: Finding Love Again is my first published novel.

Q: Are you a full time writer or is writing just one of your hobbies?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: I have a day-job. I am not yet a full-time writer, but writing isn’t just one of my hobbies. I take my writing seriously.

Q: Where can your book be purchased?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: You can buy from the online store at Ankarapress.com.


Q: Who are your favorite authors and what book are you reading at the moment?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam:  I like several authors. I like Mavis Gallant’s work a lot. I like Chika Unigwe’s simple, yet striking writing style. I like Buchi Emecheta’s openness. I like Chimamanda Adichie’s writing for its boldness. And there’s A Igoni Barret’s unique voice which I love so much. And Nze Sylva Ifedigbo whose sci-fi I can’t forget. I also like Emma Darcy’s romance novels. I am sorry, but it’s difficult to pick a favourite.
At the moment, I’m reading Frank McCourt’s Memoir Angela’s Ashes, Obinna Udenwe’s Satans and Shitans and Emma Darcy’s Bride of His Choice. I happen to be one of those people who take on several reading projects in given period of time.
Q: What did you enjoy most about writing this novel?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: I enjoyed setting the book in the Obudu Cattle Ranch Resort. I loved exploring the idea of a hot, sizzling romance blossoming in the beautiful sites of the resort. I’m thinking about the bonfire, the restaurant, the mountain springs, the canopy walkway etc. All those places people would love about the ranch. But I’ll stop there. I wouldn’t want to ruin anything for the reader.

Q: What is your take on the poor reading culture in Nigeria. In your opinion, what do you think can be done to change it?

Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: Nigerians are ardent readers of gossip blogs, text messages, online chats and facebook updates. But they aren’t just reading books enough. It is to be expected seeing as there is so much competing for our attention these days.

In order for this trend to change, people would need to discipline themselves. For instance, one can resolve not to go to bed until they have read at least a chapter of a fiction novel and a chapter of a nonfiction book.

Q: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Chioma Iwunze-Ibiam: Thank God, I don’t have to because the only writer that comes to mind is the late Canadian writer, Mavis Gallant.

Q: Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
Read, read, read. Write, write, write. Join a decent critique group. Always take constructive criticism and never give up.

Q: What genre of music and movies are your favorite. And do they inspire your writing?
My favorite genres of music include: country, classical, soul train oldies and gospel (worship). As for movies, I like inspirational romance, romance comedy and the occasional futuristic scifi.

In many ways, these genres of music and movies inspire my writing.